Monday, November 5, 2007

I just learned how "inefficient" I am as a cashier.

I couldn't believe it... but I actually got to do a closing cashier shift last Thursday. I was surprised that I was even allowed on a register after so many months of being away from one.

Despite all of my complaints of customer rudeness... I went into the shift with a positive attitude... knowing that I would not have to do cashier again for a long time.

The night started off great... people thanked me, smiled and said "have a good night" even before I could, despite a line out the door.

It was so busy that we started to run out of bread bowls, apples, Tomato Basil bread, paninis... basically, the popular stuff. Most customers were willing to compromise, but orders started taking a little longer to ring.

Then...after everything went so well, a customer drop her lemonade down the front of the register... right to the base of the computer system.

Fortunately, my fellow cashier ran to clean it up before it destroyed the computers, which would've called for the store to shut down. I kept taking orders while she cleaned.

Of course, we can't please everyone... so naturally the woman that was 2 people behind the girl who dropped her drink looks at me angrily while I'm taking someone's order. She decides it is necessary to taunt me and says "This is the most inefficient set-up I have ever seen. There is a line out the door. That girl needs to be ringing, not cleaning. Leave that to someone else. Where are the dining room people? I've been here forever...." Blah, Blah, Blah. Even her husband looked embarassed because no one else in line seemed to care.


Then after my co-worker tried to explain that someone would slip and the computer system might break down if we didn't clean up, the woman told her that she was stupid.

I understand that no one wants to wait in line, but c'mon--stupid and "inefficient?" That just seems a little over the top to me.

No comments: