Sunday, October 7, 2007

You wouldn't curse in front of your family, so don't do it to me.

I think my most unforgettable Panera experience happened 2 years ago on a busy summer day. I was mainly a cashier at that time, so my job was direct interaction with customers at all times (this is why after 1 1/2 years I eventually got moved to crispanis and salads.)

An older man, probably about 60, came up and ordered two sandwiches like this:

"I'll take 2 chicken salad sandwiches. I'll have the first one on (pause) multi grain bread.

Me: With everything sir?

Him: Yes, with everything, and ya know, you can just put the second sandwich on wheat."

Keep in mind Panera still has two wheat breads: Whole grain(formally the multi grain) and honey wheat.

Maybe it was stupid to assume that after ordering one sandwich on multi grain and the second on "wheat" that he was referring to the same bread.

I was HORRIBLY wrong.

After reading his receipt two minutes later, he comes running back to me, interrupts the customer I was with and asks "WHAT THE HELL?? I said I wanted my second sandwich on wheat!"

I was still confused, so I told him both were on wheat. He looks at as though he is going to literally slap me and says "What could possibly make you think that I wanted two sandwiches on th same bread??"

Dumbstruck. I go get my manager and as I walked away to tell the sandwich maker the adjustments, the man looks at my male manager and say "It is just like B****es to screw it up. My wife is just like that."

My manager was pretty disturbed and just gave the man his sandwiches, said "she is one of our best employees" and asked him to leave.

Since that day I have never assumed Whole grain and honey wheat were the same thing.

But seriously, was the cussing necessary? No. We will ask you to leave.

2 comments:

JB said...

Hi there, I've enjoyed your posts and have a Panera question for you. I've heard rumors about Panera ruining their bread before they throw it away to make sure nobody takes it from their dumpsters.

Can you tell me what happens with day-old bread at your store? Is it donated or thrown away? And how about the leftover prepared food? Maybe you could write a whole post on what Panera does and doesn't waste...I know I'd be intererested. But, then again, I write a blog on the topic of wasted food.

Melissa said...

No problem, check my blog and I'll be happy to answer it for you. Believe it or not, we have people pick up the pastries almost every night for multiple charities. Unfortunately, on nights where no one does pick up, we are forced to throw away what we won't distribute amongst ourselves.

Cheers!