Monday, February 25, 2008

Health Concerns, among others.

My older sister Tara works part-time at a tiny health food store called Health Concerns on Susquehanna Avenue in Towson. Her job at the store actually sparked my desire to pursue this topic, especially since it is independently run in a city full of health chains.

Although my sister and I literally live 5 minutes away from each other, she kept forgetting to remind me when she worked so she could show me around the store. As it turns out, I had free time last Friday so I decided to drive over there on my own. I was actually surprised that the store was as small as it was, yet it was still doing decent business. I also must add that this was also while the weather was rainy and miserable.

I discovered that the store did not only sell food, but the ingredients for anyone to follow an "alternative" healthy lifestyle. They had organic soap and shampoos, medicines for practiaclly every ailment (accompanied by a pharmacy) and lotions. I was sick the day I went in and Tara tried to drag me towards the pharmacist for a cure. I kindly declined, but she insisted that alternative medication was better for the body than what regular physicians can prescribe.

Tara also said that one of the most interesting parts of her job is constant interaction with the Baltimore County Police force. The Towson jail lies on the corner of Susquehanna and she said that officers supply the lunch rush in the store. I guess that breaks a million stereotypes; who would've known so many officers love organic food?

From this visit I realized that I could create a multimedia package from visiting the store that day. I briefly met the owner, although he was busy assisting customers by the cash register for most of the day. I would love to capture the diverse people who wonder into the store and learn why people are drawn to visit. Tara promised to talk to the owner when she had time, and well of course, if she remembers.

No comments: