Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Talking to People Who Know About Towson's History...

After discussing my project options with Dr. Lieb at the end of the last class, I decided that my multimedia package topic would be: "small local companies that have been successful, despite the influence of corporate chains."

After narrowing my options, I decided to talk to my father about companies that have been in the area for years. My father grow up in Towson, went to both high school and college here, but eventually moved away when I was in early elementary school. While I did not grow up here, we have always lived close enough that he would have an opinion of the business changes that have occurred.

His first thought was to talk to the members of Purdam Pharmacy on York Road. Apparently, they have been in the same location since my father was a child and was his family's primary source for health care needs. He also mentioned that he believes the same family has owned the store for many years, though he did not know the exact year it opened.

After talking briefing with my dad, I spoke with my boyfriend on the phone and mentioned the upcoming project. Nick, a current college student and Towson native, also suggested Purdam pharmacy. I waited on the phone as he recalled stopping by after middle school with his friends to buy snacks for the afternoon.

I found it interesting that although my father is over 20 years older than my boyfriend, they both have memories of this tiny store affecting their lives.

Sadly, Nick also mentioned that he thought business was definitely down as a result of the Target, Rite Aid and Walmart that are in close proximity with Purdam. I think it will be interesting to talk to the owners to see how they feel about all of the changes.

No comments: